
Being relatively new to the ag industry I've never had the opportunity to walk around a farm and check out its daily operations. That all changed last week Friday when a group of ag "newbies" from C|O, myself included, ventured out to visit a few farms. I'll be the first to admit that my overall ag knowledge is rather lacking, so I really had no idea what to expect.
Our day began at a dairy farm in Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin. In addition to walking around the clean and well-kept barns, we learned about the economic and financial aspects of running a farm—something I'd never experienced.
The next stop brought us to a large, nearly self-sufficient Holstein operation near Waterloo, Wisconsin. I was impressed with the dairy's ability to not only grow its own crops, but also recycle its manure. The manure was converted to methane gas using a manure digester and subsequently generated electricity. The electricity powered everything from the digester to the lights to the milking system. Any unused electricity was sent to a grid to help power neighboring residences.
The last stop brought us to a certified Black Angus farm outside of Sullivan, Wisconsin. Like most businesses feeling the affects of the economy, this seedstock operation is focusing on differentiating their product in the marketplace. To accomplish this goal, the farm focuses on breeding bulls that produce offspring with strong carcass traits and show-quality builds.
Looking back, it was a fascinating experience, and I am confident I will use the information I learned days, weeks and months down the road.
No comments:
Post a Comment