Thursday, September 16, 2010

A dairy farm, George Jetson style


by Mike Oelhafen, Director of Media


Yesterday I had my first Field Assignment since joining CO…and it didn’t even take me to a field! It did, however, take me to the Knigge Family dairy farm located outside of Omro, WI.

This trip wasn’t my first trip out behind the barn - my Mom grew up on a dairy farm outside of Hartford, WI and I remember helping out with chores during planting and harvesting. I can remember my uncle and cousins needing to head back home for the evening milking, and I remember that the actual milking took quite a bit of time.

Fast forward almost 40 years and I felt like Fred Flintstone visiting George Jetson on the farm. Watching the new Lely Astronaut robotic milking system in action caused my jaw to almost hit the spotless barn floor (was that really a barn?). When ready for milking, cows voluntarily - like people at the grocery check-out line - waited for their turn to enter the milking stall. They enjoyed a scrumptious snack. Then, they gracefully exited the milking area when done….simply to allow the next cow to begin the “check-out” process.

Well, this city boy is now perplexed. Years ago I told myself I was content if I NEVER went to a farm again. After yesterday, rather than say I was wrong (men hate that), I can just say I might need to update my opinion.

Thank you to the Knigge’s. I really do feel like I saw George Jetson’s farm…but please, no talking dogs on a levitating treadmill.

No comments: